Saint Nicholas was the Greek Bishop of Myra in the year 317. He was the 151st signer of the Nicene Creed. He was known for secretly giving gifts. Legend says that he would leave gold coins, pieces of fruit or other treats in the shoes of children who left their shoes out on the stoop for the night. The feast of Saint Nicholas is December 6th. The Lutheran Church of Framingham has followed a tradition of delivering small goodie bags made up of cookies, small candies and pieces of fruit to children on the Eve of St. Nick. Unfortunately this year our organizers are busy so we are pushing the delivery off until December 11.
There are 5 ways to participate in this year’s festivities:
- Nominate some children to receive goodie bags. Check with their parents first. We need to know how many kids (all kids still in public school age range), address and any special instructions on how to find the house. We can only deliver to Framingham. Other arrangements need to be made for out of town families. A contact email address would also be helpful. We will send out an email reminder for the kids to leave their shoes out for the elves arrival. Nominations can be made to email@example.com or online here. All nominations must be made prior to December 9th.
- Bake cookies, donate candies or donate apples or donate clementines. Please bring these items to St. Andrews before Saturday, December 10th at 6:00pm.
- Be an assembly elf. On Saturday, December 10th at 7:00pm, we will gather at Saint Andrews to prepare the goodie bags.
- Be a driver. We need drivers, vehicles and delivery elves. Each vehicle needs 2 unrelated adults and 2 kids. Our drivers will get a route to follow. The kids are the elves. The idea is that the elves and delivery vehicle are not seen. Things don’t always go according to plan. Arrive at Saint Andrews on December 11th at 6:30 pm.
- Have your older children be delivery elves. We follow a route through Framingham and are typically done by 8pm. Once all deliveries are made we meet back at Saint Andrews to share stories and a snack before heading home. Delivery elves must be middle school or older and able to frequently enter and exit a car plus able to climb stairs. The elves gather the proper number of goodie bags and sneak unseen up to the house. They place the goodie bags, ring the bell and hide. Delivery elves get goodie bags too. Kids need to be at Saint Andrews on December 11th by 6:30 pm.
Contact Barbara Miller with any questions, firstname.lastname@example.org